Thursday, October 12, 2017

One of the oldest hobbies of mine that I still keep up with today is visual art. It’s relaxing and is the purest form of self expression to me. I’ve done a lot of painting and three dimensional art, to a lesser extent, but drawing is my favorite mode of art. Cliché or not, for as long as I can remember I’ve been doodling and making actual finished “pieces”. I loved making my own comic books, mostly referencing aspects of popular culture seen through the eyes of a 5-10 year old. My mom has kept one of my comics, “Batman vs. Harry Potter,” for almost a decade, and constantly reminds me that it was the peak of my creativity. While it pains me to admit it, but she wasn’t wrong. After middle school, my interest in drawing took a nosedive. I don’t think I have any drawings from that period in my life, and I keep all of them. High school provided me with opportunities to rekindle my interest in art, through required and eventually elected classes. However, my creative side wasn’t instantly rejuvenated with the art classes. I found myself trying to recreate scenes or people on paper with as much detail and precision as possible. This isn’t necessarily a bad skill to develop as an artist, there also isn’t much room to make it personal. As my high school art career progressed I became increasingly bored with realistic drawings, so I began to add my own quirks to them. They were still detailed, but, I’d purposefully alter aspects of people’s faces or body, like a realistic caricature. I get much more satisfaction from looking at a finished drawing that I know is 100% mine. I don’t have many pastimes or passions, and none that I’ve had for as long as drawing, so art is something I plan or pursuing through college and beyond!

6 comments:

  1. This is really cool. When I read, "Batman vs. Harry Potter", I became a little intrigued about what that looked like. Anyway, its unfortunate that you lost interest in art in Middle School, but I'm glad that your interest returned in High School. I can understand why realistic art could become boring. I'm not an artist myself, but I love looking at people's art and how it is unique to them. Good luck with your future endeavors in art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never taken an art class at Uni, but the thought of one being bored of realism strikes me. I'm absolutely terrible at it, but I've been told I can draw well (although I just draw anime characters). I think you should keep making art and possibly redo your "Batman vs. Harry Potter" with the artistic knowledge you've accumulated. Then you could release them both to the world (or not cause you might get sued....uh...). Good blog post, may fortune favor your art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who has also drawn for as long as they remember, I really love drawing because you know it's a product of your own imagination and creativity. I'm really bad at drawing realistically, but I love drawing whatever my mind can think of. I have a sketchbook that I always try to draw what comes to me everyday. Flipping through it is extremely therapeutic for me. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow sounds like you enjoy art a lot. You should stop by 7th period art class and draw with us, we always do a lot of creative art activities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to draw too. Unlike you, my interest waned when I was forced to follow the instructions of our Uni art teacher but luckily I maintain it as a hobby on my own. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used too draw a lot too and like you I do feel that when I was younger my creativity peaked and then went down after middle school. I do hope that you can continue your hobby throughout the rest of your life. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete