Wednesday, October 11, 2017

If you’ve seen me in the hallway, you might have noticed that I’m always wearing earbuds. Maybe you’ve even pondered what I could be utilizing such a device for. Well, it turns out I listen to music whilst my Apple EarPods are fixed above my earlobe. Listening to music is something I enjoy very much. I’d say it’s quite possibly my favorite activity to partake in. But what could be so enthralling about this auditory experience? The following formation of words will provide an answer to this question.
  1. As a hobby, listening to music is so easy! Other pastimes like knitting or drawing or some kind of physical activity all require work to some extent, maybe even skill! Listening to music requires no work nor skill! It’s just you and your tunes.
  2. If you want to watch movies or television programs you have to set aside time to do so. When you don’t set aside time and still watch a movie or show, you’re cutting into time that could be spent doing homework or writing essays for college. It’s sad really… On the other hand, you can listen to music at anytime, anywhere (except at the dinner table, then your mother might scold you!). In fact, when I am doing my homework or writing essays for college, I plant my earbuds in my ears and allow the subsequent sounds to provide background noise that makes the arduous workload somewhat pleasurable. For those of you that find this distracting to yourself, I send my condolences.
  3. For any tryhards that like to be challenged, fear not! Listening to music doesn’t have to be entirely for relaxation purposes or to be played in the background. Politically charged and socially conscious music provide great ways to engage in literary explication. The 2015 album, To Pimp a Butterfly, is an excellent example. I myself am not keen enough to fully understand the themes and messages found in the album, so I had to rely on Genius.com annotations. Regardless, if you listen to the album while reading the lyrics and really try to understand what’s being said, your brain will get its exercise for the day!
  4. 2 Chainz exists

Some Music Recommendations:

Sike! You thought! Music preference is subjective. Go find your own songs or albums to titillate your auditory sense.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy listen to music as well, but to me it's more of a supplement than a hobby--I would listen while walking or to distract from a boring task, so it isn't something that can replace movies or TV shows. I do get distracted very easily when I work with music playing in the background, so perhaps my relationship with music just isn't the same as yours. I'm glad music is such a big part of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually never noticed your earbuds before! I love listening to music all the time, too. However, when I'm working while listening to music, I sometimes go off track, because I will start singing along to my music. What helps me when I need to be super efficient is listening to the instrumental versions of my favorite albums, because I still get the tunes but not the potentially distracting lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is thrilling and I'm glad you have a hobby that you find so much joy in. I agree with your final statement about music being subjective and it's important to find what really speaks to you personally. I personally can't listen to music with words while doing homework but I can watch movies so I suppose we are different people on that point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I can only listen to music while working in certain settings. For example, I'm terrible at writing while listening to music because I get easily distracted and start paying attention to the lyrics instead of my essay. But, I think its really helpful to relax while doing any kind of science or math homework.

    ReplyDelete