Thursday, August 31, 2017

2006


At the tender age of 6, still a little, bouncy boy, my family and I traversed to a land known as Costa Rica. The intention of said trip was not for leisure exclusively, instead, a much more momentous occasion: my aunt and uncle-in-law were hosting a gathering to witness their joining in matrimony, or a wedding. Needless to say, the trip was an incredible experience. Costa Rica is truly a magnificent country, with its tropical fruits and warmth and such. I recall frolicking down the beach with the company of my cousins. There were so many pleasant memories regarding this long distance outing. However, I had an encounter that rattles my bones to this day!

Everyone was eating breakfast but my hunger became satisfied rather quickly due to my small body. I asked to be excused, most likely to retrieve my beach frolicking slippers, and ventured to our room. As I sauntered towards my destination, I came across a walkway surrounded by tall trees and beautiful herbage. My curiosity got the best of me, so I decided to take that path instead. It only took a few steps for me to realize I had just made a grave mistake.

I came across a reptilian creature that forced me to stop dead in my tracks. An iguana! Not just any iguana! This one was very large, like a teenaged crocodile! Up until that point, I had no inkling that a fear of hideous reptiles affected me, but as soon as I peered into its beady eyes, I knew. Tears began to formulate in my eyes and steadily stream down my face. At this point, some might wonder why I didn’t just turn around. Well, I was quite literally frozen in place. This scaled monster had petrified me! I stood there crying like a babe for what seemed like an eternity. Eventually, my brave grandfather found me and had to carry me away. With each step away from the iguana, I became increasingly at peace.

The moral of the story is don’t go to Costa Rica if you don’t like reptiles, because I’m pretty sure there was a poisonous snake on the roof of one of the restaurants too.

15 comments:

  1. Sounds terrifying, I've experienced the same type of frozen fear before, except it's when teachers yelled at me in middle and elementary school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah costa rica is pretty cool. I remember seeing an iguana when we went for the Spanish trip. I can see how you could be scared of them. Didn't you go back to costa rica though, even though you don't like reptiles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really had to convince myself to go back to the land of reptiles, and luckily I didn't come across any.

      Delete
    2. we came across several, sir. and you enjoyed them immenseley

      Delete
    3. Sir, where is your proof? I saw small, harmless lizards, but nothing more, nothing scarier!

      Delete
  3. Incredible and tear inducing. Had me at the edge of my seat the entire time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I disagree with your conclusion, and I think that there is something fundamentally fallacious about this post. Goodness! It is scientifically impossible to be literally frozen in place! How appallingly misinformed! I do say, my good dude, please refrain from making such misguided statements in the future.

    Also, I would immensely enjoy a description how this experience has affected you afterwards; I see that this memory "rattles your bones to this day", but it would be incredibly harmful to your health if your bones were still shaking after ten years! Tell us about your fear of lizards now; are you still frightened? Would you cry like a babe if you encountered one at PetSmart? This is a very unintelligent and imbecilic story, please consider adding some actual content.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very impressed that you've attracted so many comments from beyond our little Nonfiction Writing Circle! But I understand why, because your prose in this post is quite enjoyable, and your story is one that every reader can appreciate, if not identify with. (Many of us probably can identify, though, if at some point in childhood we found ourselves frozen in fear. I myself recall encountering a snake in a parking lot at Disney World, and I think my heart skipped several beats.)

    On an entirely different note, I have always wanted to visit Costa Rica. I hear it's beautiful, and I welcome any opportunity to practice my rusty Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the prose, and couldn't stop laughing at some of the word choice and comments. You did a good job to tell the story so that it was indeed, in the words of Van Gundersen, "numbing"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still waiting for another story... don't keep your audience waiting like you waited for your granddaddy to save you...

    ReplyDelete